I sent this RTI query to Prime Ministers Office on 25th August 2013. Following were the questions..
1. What are the criteria and procedure for Bharat Ratna award
2. Does Prime Minister himself recommend Bharat Ratna awardee to the president.
3. (i)Who got Bharat Ratna in the year 1955 and 1971 respectively, (ii) who recommended their names to the then President of India, and what were the achievements of Bharat Ratna recipients.
4. Has the name of Mahatma Gandhi ever come up vis a vis Bharat Ratna award and if yes,why was it rejected.
5. Is there any law or rules which lays down the conditions and eligibility of recipients of Bharat Ratna award
Today (20th November 2013) I received RTI reply from PMO to question 2,3 and 4. They are as follows
3. Pt Jawaharlal Nehru and Smt Indira Gandhi got Bharat Ratna in the year 1955 and 1971 respectively. (ii) information sought not available on record.
4. information sought not available on record.
Who recommends Bharat Ratna awardee to President ? PM. Who got it in 1955 and 1971 respectively ? Nehru and Indira. Who recommended their names ? Information sought not available on record. Obviously it must be the then Prime Ministers who would have recommended the Bharat Ratna awardees. But then who were the prime ministers who recommended Bharat Ratna to Nehru and Indira ? Nehru and Indira themselves. What is more hilarious is that UPA Government does not know what were the achievements of Nehru and Indira that made them recommend themselves for Bharat Ratna ?